Great Reasons Why We Should Invest in Those who Invest in Us
"If you live to be 100, I hope to live to be 100 minus one day so I never have to be without you" (Milne, 1997, p. xx). This expression of friendship between Winne the Pooh and Piglet parallels one of the most commonly quoted statements from the study of positive psychology – 'other people matter' (Peterson, 2006). Research has repeatedly shown cultivating positive relationships with other's in our lives to be the single most critical element in contributing to our overall well-being. The benefits of relationship stretch far beyond the warm emotions we experience in cuddling up to our partner to indulge in a glass of wine by the fire. In addition to our psychological well-being, relationships have been shown to have direct impacts on our physical health.
So, if you are sitting on the fence of whether or not it is worth investing your time in couples counseling or participating in one of our upcoming couples workshops, let me share with you some great reasons why you should invest in those who invest in you!
- Not surprising, marriage is a stronger indicator of happiness than satisfaction with job or finances.
- Interpersonal relationships can buffer us from disease and the effects of stressful events by providing us with a variety of social supports.
- A correlation has been shown between keeping socially engaged and putting family first to living longer lives.
- Relationships and work groups contribute to our well-being by providing us with a sense of meaning.
- In a give and receive scenario, the givers - those in our relationships who are generous with their time, energy, knowledge, skills, ideas, and connections - have been shown to have greater well-being benefits in comparison to the receivers.
One couples counselling for fostering positive relationships is through expressing admiration, appreciation, and affection in our partnerships. Another is through spending quality time together in ways that encourage loving communication, connection, and good old fun! Did you know play is a hard-wired connection builder? When was the last time you goofed around as a couple?
Join us at an upcoming couples retreat and we will provide you with the tools and strategies to get the most out of your relationships!